#80. Rises the Night

Rises the Night by Colleen Gleason
Second of the Gardella Vampire Chronicles


Pages: 334
Finished: Sept. 23, 2007
Reason for Reading: read this for the RIP Challenge
First Published: 2007
Genre: paranormal romance
Rating: 5/5

First Sentence:

One month after she lost her husband, Victoria took to the streets of London.


Comments: This is a whirlwind of a read. We hit the ground running from the first page and keep going until the final pages. Victoria travels to Italy and must stop a powerful Vampire from gaining control of the souls of the dead. I have to say I enjoyed this even more than the first book. The romance part is done very well, there are a few sexy scenes but mostly the story focuses on the vampire part of the plot. I stayed up way past my bedtime two nights in a row reading this, each chapter ends in such suspense that I kept needing to read "just one more chapter". My favourite character in this series is Sebastian, he is so swoon-worthy (LOL). The shocking ending was such a surprise and I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series!

Since this series has been my very first exposure to the 'paranormal romance' genre, does anyone have any suggestions of other authors I might like? I'm not into romances in general but I've really enjoyed it mixed-up with the vampires and would love to try some more.

Comments

  1. One of my favourite paranormal series is The Mercedes Thompson one by Patricia Briggs. There's not a lot of romance, though, because I am not big in the romance genre either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read this! I have owned it for months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH....Yeah for a good book! I have BOTH Colleen Gleason books on my list for the RIP challenge. Now...what I really need to do is get off the computer and get into my books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kailana, Thanks! I'll take a look at the Patricia Briggs books.

    marg, stephanie - you've got a treat ahead of you. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is totally out of the my normal realm of reading as well, but I've got this one and The Rest Falls Away sitting on my nightstand, and I'm really anxious to get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve been thinking about reading this series for some time, I will have to check my library for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorites in this genre include Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series (lots of paranormal, light on "romance") beginning with "Bitten"

    And, I luv Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series (higher comedy content to these)

    I've never read Gleason, but I may have to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of Colleen Gleason's stuff, but the book blogosphere is always positively raving about it. Maybe I should give it a try.

    It's not quite romance per se, more chick lit, but you might enjoy Shanna Swendson's Enchanted, Inc. series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm checking them out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nicola! There's a juvenile paranormal romance series written by Stephenie Meyer. The first book is Twilight. I recently added it to my RIP Autumn Reading Challenge list because everyone seems to be reading it.

    And after finishing the first two books I know why. It's such a breeze to read. Quite enjoyable too. Still, it's a juvenile romance story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lightheaded, I have read the Twilight books this summer, well the first two. I liked them well-enough but decided not to continue on with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts