#85. The Dark Goodbye Vol. 1

The Dark Goodbye Volume 1
Written by Frank Farraffino
Artwork by Drew Rausch


Pages: 188
Finished: Sept. 29, 2007
Reason for Reading: just picked it up from the library because I liked the cover. This will qualify for the RIP Challenge
First Published: 2007
Genre: manga, horror, mystery
Rating: 3/5



First Sentence:

The day was calm, but beneath the surface a foul sickness lurked.



Comments: The introduction page calls this a "fusion of Chandleresque hard-boiled noir and the weird horror of H.P. Lovecraft". I have not read either Chandler or Lovecraft so can't comment. What I can say is that it certainly is weird! An alcoholic private eye is hired by a beautiful dame to find her missing twin sister. She conveniently leaves out the part about her family being in cahoots with obscure creatures from the underworld. There was a lot of tongue-in-cheek humour and obviously a parody of the genre yet incredibly gruesome. We find man-eating giant plants, an insane asylum, rotting walking corpses, giant boat sinking octopuses and oh so much more. A fun, quickie read.

Comments

  1. Girl....you are a reading machine!! I can't keep up with all your reviews!! I've never been a big Graphic Novel reader....until they started turning them into movies. I've been pretty impressed with the way some of them have turned out!!

    The last few weeks, I've been kind of "stuck" on a few books. I have been reading 4, and I'm almost done with (or have finished) all of them. It's time to move on to a few more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey steph! I read a few graphic novels here and there but have never really been 'into' them. But I think that may be changing, I find myself in that section of the library often these days.

    I'm a one-book-at-a-time girl, myself. If I started more than one I think I'd have a problem of starting more than I finished (LOL)! That's great to be able to read 4 at a time.

    Yeah, I hate getting 'stuck' in a book too, even when they are good they start to feel like they're lasting forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun. I am just getting into manga and have the Death Note series to read soon. Will keep a look out for this one too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts