14. The Field Guide

The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1


Pages: 107
Finished: Jan. 24, 2008
Reason for Reading: first in a series challenge, read-aloud to my 7yo.
First Published: 2003
Genre: children, fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5

First Sentence:

If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying.


Comments: Three children move to an old Victorian home that belongs to a relative. They soon start hearing strange noises and then they find many strange and wonderful things that lead them to believe the house has another inhabitant. I read this aloud to my 7yo and I have to say I have never seen him so engrossed in a book before. At the end of each chapter we could hardly stand to not continue reading. We are both looking forward to the next volume. A wonderful, well-written fantasy for the under tens.

Comments

  1. I keep meaning to try this series, do you think an adult could enjoy it as much as a younger child? I really like the illustrations and Holly Black's other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a good series. I'm going to have to read them. Sounds like my older kids (6 and 9) would probably like them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rhinoa, well I enjoyed it very much! It just doesn't have as much to it, ykwim, as a book for older kids would have and I think that as long as one takes that into account you'll like it fine.

    susan, yes, I think your 6 and 9 will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts