5. The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
First Percy Jackson and the Olympians book


Pages: 375
Finished: Jan. 11, 2008
Reason for Reading: 1st in a series challenge
First Published: 2005
Genre: children, YA fantasy
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:

Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood.


Comments: After Percy Jackson is attacked by a monster he finds out that he is a demigod. His mother takes him to the summer camp where others like him are trained. It is here he finds out which god is his father and he is given his first quest, to retrieve the stolen lightning bolt of Zeus from Hades in the Underworld.

This book was so much fun. A fast-paced read from beginning to end. As a fan of Greek myths I loved how the author did not tell who each monster or god was right away, giving the reader a chance to figure it out themselves. There were so many familiar myths represented here but there were also a few that were new to me as well. The characters were real and likable and I found myself comparing this to Harry Potter. Not so much in the plot (though there are some similarities) but mostly in the friendship of the three main characters, who are school mates and the dynamics between them. I can't wait to read the next book in this series and highly recommend.

Comments

  1. I'm definitely adding this book to my TBR list!! Looks like so much fun! I'm with you too....I love Greek and Roman mythology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ordered this book - sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing this series on the shelves at my library, and putting books on hold for people, and it looked good. Thanks for the wonderful review - it is now officially on my list!

    Have you read The Game by Diana Wynne Jones? Your comment about liking how the author let you figure things out on your own reminded me of her approach to that book. If you haven't read it, I'm sure you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your all going to love it!

    Darla, no I haven't read The Game. Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favourite authors, though, so combined with your recommendation I'm sure I'd love it. It has been a while since I've read any of her books. Hopefully I can get back to her this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have been in love with series for awhile! and i think Percy and Annabeth are so cute together! you guys should definitely read this! can't wait for the movie just finished the books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts