51. Black Ships

Black Ships by Jo Graham



Pages: 411
Finished: Mar. 10, 2008
Reason for Reading: Review copy.
First Published: Mar. 10, 2008
Genre: historical fantasy
Rating: 5/5

First Sentence:

You must know that, despite all else I am, I am of the People.


Comments: Set in approximately 1200 BC along the coast of the Mediterranean from Egypt to Italy this tale is a retelling of Virgil's Aenid from the viewpoint of Gull, a young woman who is the Sybil, oracle of the Lady of the Dead, as she accompanies Aeneas on his journey to find a new home for their People. The first words that come to mind as I think about this book are lyrical and haunting. The writing is lyrical, the tale is woven around the reader as you are drawn into the very fabric of this haunting tale. I just loved everything about this book. Each time I picked up the book it felt magical. I wanted to be there forever. The characters are wonderful and so real. There is nothing more satisfying to a reader than to have characters that tug at your emotions. As I read the closing pages of this book, I wept. My tears flowed and my heart ached. And I'll tell you, it has been a long time since a book made me cry. A beautiful, wonderful book. Highly recommended.

Comments

  1. Wow, that sounds like an amazing book. I love historical retellings that involve Greek stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I haven't heard of this book before. Sounds wonderful. Not sure I want something that will make me blubber though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book itself isn't a tear jerker. I guess I just got so involved in these characters that the ending got to me big time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this sounds interesting. Thanks for the review, I'll add it to my ever-growing list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts