58. The Wrath of Mulgarath

The Wrath of Mulgarath by Holly Black
Illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi
The Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 5


Pages: 139
Finished: Mar. 25, 2008
First Published: 2004
Genre: children, fantasy
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:

The pale light of the newly risen sun made the dew shimmer on the nearby grass as Jared, Mallory, and Simon trudged along the morning roads.


Reason for Reading: read aloud to my 7yo. next in the series. Once Upon a Time Challenge

Comments: In this final installment of the Spiderwick Chronicles, the Grace children must rescue their mother and save the human world from the evil ogre, Mulgarath. A fitting end to this series, this book was non-stop action from beginning to end. All story lines are brought to a satisfying conclusion and yet the door is left open for a sequel. This series is a perfect introduction to fantasy for young children. My 7yo was on the edge of his seat for the entire series and this will be remembered as one of our favourite read alouds.

Comments

  1. I just read these with my 7-year-old a few weeks ago, too. And he was the exact same way...totally on the edge of his seat the whole time! He's never been so into a set of books as these. It did his mommy's heart a lot of good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the movie "Spiderwick Chronicles",it is very exciting,I would like to know the movie version is the chapter one of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to get these for so long now and I saw a boxed set which I really should go back for. I don't have a 7 yo to read them too, I thought I would enjoy them all by myself! Unless of course the cats want to listen too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to read this series to my kids! I read the first one ages ago, when it first came out, and we did watch the movie together, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun for us to read them together. It can be a bit challenging to find books that are a good fit for both my 7- and 9-year-olds - I need something that isn't too convoluted for the 7yo, but that still is exciting and holds the attention of the 9yo. These sound like a good fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very gripping series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored the Spiderwick series. The books themselves are beautiful, the story was fun, and it was a thrill to read them aloud to my daughter when they first came out. I'm glad you enjoyed them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your review. I put this down on my list to buy the boxed set.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this series to my almost six year old daughter and we really enjoyed it. I didn't much care for the movie version though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't seen the movie yet. I'm waiting for it to come out of DVD. I think it's going to be a bit too intense for him at this point. Ds is fine with suspenseful books but TV/Movies get to him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts