70. Capyboppy


Capyboppy by Bill Peet

Pages: 62
Finished: Apr. 17, 2008
First Published: 1966
Genre: children, animal story, autobiographical
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:

Since early childhood my son Bill has been fascinated by the wild creatures living around the Los Angeles and southern California area.


Reason for Reading: Read aloud to the 7yo.

Comments: A true story based on the author's experience of having a capybara as a family pet. His oldest son had always brought home animals as pets but once when he was attending college he brought home a capybara. The animal won all their hearts and had many comic escapades but in the end they realize that wild animals are not meant to be pets and they must decide what to do with him. The story ends happily, though mother sheds a few tears. This is a fun, educational story illustrated profusely with Peet's fabulous line drawings. Bill Peet worked for Walt Disney back in the day and he is one of the greatest children's book author/illustrators.

This has put me in the mood for more of his books. I think I'll go check out some more from the library.

Comments

  1. I remember reading and loving this book as a child! I'd completely forgotten about it, but now I'd definitely like to read it again. Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts