104. Basil of Baker Street

Basil of Baker Street by Eve Titus
Illustrated by Paul Galdone
Basil of Baker Street Book 1

Pages: 96
Finished: June 4, 2008
First Published: 1958
Genre: children mystery,
Rating: 4/5

Reason for Reading: Read Aloud to my 8yo, Decades Challenge

First sentence:

The Mystery of the Missing Twins could never have been solved by an ordinary
detective.


Comments: Basil the mouse and his friend Dr. Dawson live in the cellar under 221 B Baker Street. Basil is a detective, much lauded by the mouse community, just as his hero, Sherlock Holmes, is of the human world. Two little twin girl mice have been kidnapped and her parents ask Basil to take the case.

Written very much in the style of the Holmes books this is a wonderful mystery for young children and a good introduction to Holmes himself. We really enjoyed the story and I found it as much fun as I did as a child. It is also perfect for reading aloud. I found myself doing the voices of either Shemlock Hemlock or Maxwell Smart as I read. Lots of fun!

Comments

  1. Aren't they fun? I'm so glad you liked them also. Thanks for leaving the comment so I could find your review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts