174. The Keepsake


The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen
Book 7 Jane Rizzoli series

Pages: 509 (large-print edition)
Finished: Nov. 6, 2008
First Published: Sept, 2008
Genre: crime thriller
Rating: 4.5/5
Reason for Reading: Received a Review Copy from Random House Canada.

First sentence:

He is coming for me.


Comments: Dr. Maura Isles is invited to a CAT scan of an Egyptian mummy recently found in the basement storage of a museum. During the scan a bullet appears in the "ancient" mummy's leg. Rizzoli and her partner are called in for the autopsy and the case begins when it is confirmed that the mummy is from modern times. More bodies are found in the form of various ancient burial preservations and Rizzoli and her partner discover they are on the path of a serial killer who has been at it for quite some time.

After my disappointment in Gerritsen's last book in this series The Mephisto Society, I am glad to say she is back to form in this fabulous crime thriller. Not only are the murders and the serial killer very unique, the plot is full of twists and turns and while I figured out part of the solution there was more to it that surprised me in the end. Not particularly gory (or perhaps I am becoming jaded) but certainly taught and tense. A page-turner and one of those books that you tell people "Be quiet, I'm at a good part!" quite frequently. As usual I look forward to Tess Gerritsen's next installment in this series.

Comments

  1. Hey Nicola! I just finished #3 The Sinner the other day. It wasn't as good as her others. Now I jump to #6. (messed up the order when I began) I'm glad to see that you gave this a 4.5/5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! And "not too gory" is the key for me, especially if a book involves a serial keller.

    I am quite happy ot find your blog. We are in The Complete Booker together. So today is my day to check out the blogs of all my fellow participants. What an interesting and creative bunch of fellow readers! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts