30. Legends in Exile

Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham
Fables, Volume 1

Pages: 127
Finished: Feb. 8, 2009
First Published: 2002
Genre: fantasy, graphic novel (not suitable for children)
Rating: 4.5/5

Reason for Reading: Everybody has either read this series or is reading this series and I couldn't hold out any longer even though I have to ILL each volume. It was Kailana's reviews that pushed me over the edge.

First sentence:

Once upon a time.


Comments: The people of fairy tales have escaped into the mundane world as their lands were ravaged and taken over by the Adversary. Ole King Cole is the mayor of Fabletown and Snow White is second in charge. This volume reads like a classic noir detective as Snow White's sister's apartment is found to be a bloody carnage with Rose Red herself missing. With no body to know whether he is looking at for a murderer or kidnapper Bigby Wolf (the law of Fabletown) sets off to track down Rose Red and solve the case.

The book is peopled with characters from fairy tales such as the above mentioned plus Prince Charming, Pinocchio, one of the Three Little Pigs, Bluebeard, Beauty and the Beast and many more. It is so much fun to see these characters depicted in this way, in a very adult manner. The book also ends with a very good short story which explains how the fairytale lands were attacked and especially focuses on how Snow White and Bigby Wolf found their way to Fabletown.

I loved this book! The story told was gripping and I loved the artwork, which imitates the old comic book style of the 70s and earlier. Now I know why everybody is so addicted to these books as I can't imagine not continuing on with Volume #2. There are even a couple of prequels and a spin-off series called Jack of Fables. Highly recommended to any adult who loves fairy tale retellings.

Comments

  1. I was so excited to see that you read this book! Isn't it a great series? I have books 8 and 9 coming with my next book order... I don't mind being the reason that you started another series. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series as well (I have read the first four and the first Jack of Fables). I hope to catch up this year on both as well as the prequel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts