52. Dandelion Fire


Dandelion Fire by N.D. Wilson
100 Cupboards, Book 2

Pages: 466
Finished: Mar. 8, 2009
First Published: Feb. 24, 2009
Genre: children's fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5

Reason for Reading: I received a review copy for the publisher, Random House Canada.

First sentence:

Kansas is not easily impressed.


Comments: In the previous book Henry finds out a secret about himself and now with only two weeks left before his parents come to take him home from visiting his uncle and cousins, Henry decides to enter the cupboards again and find the truth. His cousin Henrietta finds out and is annoyed at not being included so she secretly follows behind him. Henry is kidnapped almost immediately and Henrietta soon finds herself in similar circumstances only with different kidnappers.

The evil witch who is now roaming free is taking over the world with her power of death that kills every living thing that touches the ground. Henry is one of her prime targets. Once Henry finds out his truths the battle to stop evil is well underway.

Full of magical powers, witches, wizards and strange creatures Dandelion Fire is a fantastic read. Much longer than the first book and also oh so much more intricate a plot. A marvelous book that I couldn't put down. The premise of the 100 cupboards and the worlds behind them is extremely unique. I also like that Henry, while not parent-less though discarded by his parents, is part of a loving family with adults who play an integral part of the story. The orphan theme has been done to death and ND Wilson has not fallen into that trap.

A page-turner recommended for ages 9-12 that any fantasy buff is going to be thrilled with. The ending is very complete and it leaves me to wonder whether this will be a trilogy (as I had assumed for some reason) or not. While the story has all been wrapped up I can't help but want to meet these characters again and explore more of the worlds hidden behind the 100 cupboards.

Comments

  1. I just love the covers in this series. I really hate waiting so I'm going to try to wait until this series is complete until I read it. (Notice that try is the key word in that sentence lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - you are missed! :)

    I didn't realize or remember that there was a sequel. I just put 100 Cupboards on my iPod, so I best listen to that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are on my wish list..your review makes me glad they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladytink - I love the covers too!

    Joy - Thanks for missing me, fantasy is not your thing so I hope you like them.

    DesLily - I've noticed you posting about these recently and not liking them to the extent I did but glad to see you were willing to give them a shot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts