My First Book Signing!!

This Saturday I went to my very first book signing! I went to Chapters in "the city" to get my copy of The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan signed. She was amazing! Her author picture does not do her justice at all as she was all smiles and very pretty!

I've never done anything like this as my anxiety/panic disorder which is a common condition for people with Aspergers to also suffer from (though by no means do all). But I was determined to go. I took an anxiety pill before I went and then I worried the whole way there that when I went up to the table and said my name "Nicola" (which is not that common) that she would recognize me, as we have had a few emails back and forth when I originally published my review of her book and I mentioned I'd be going to this signing. So I was hoping she wouldn't recognize my name but kind of dreading that she probably would so anyway this is where the mind of an Aspergers person goes frantic. It's hard to describe and I won't try ... but I was determined to go.

So I got there and walked around a bit, noticed she was there and when I saw her sitting down at the table, I took a gulp and headed on over plus I had decided that if she recognized me I would shake her hand. (I don't shake hands with anyone except my priest at church and occasionally people in church when we give the sign of peace to each other.) Anyway I walk up to the table hoping when she asks my name, "Nicola" will not ring any bells for her but instead as soon as I get near the table she looks at me and says "Are you Nicola? (I nod my head) I recognize you from your picture on the internet!" We shake hands! Then she starts thanking me for posting my review "all over the internet". I managed to look in the general direction of her face, I think, and blabbered and flustered some words, I'm not sure what I said, though I did say I loved the book and I answered questions she asked me. But "whew" it was pretty nerve wracking while it was happening but really awesomely cool when it was over.

This is what she wrote: For Nicola. Thanks for reading & for posting your lovely review all over the internet. Best Cathy Buchanan.

Comments

  1. Good for you for going! I was so lucky to be able to participate in her book tour a month or so ago, and she and her assistant were wonderful to communicate with through e-mail, so it's nice that you got to meet her in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you ended up going! I just started going to author signings recently, and they can be quite fun, though I totally get fangirlish and speechless when I actually get up there to hand them the books I want signed, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Authors that I really really want to meet never come here! I am glad it all turned out well in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have anxiety and panic issues, too, so I totally understand how you were feeling. I get that way, too. You should've seen me at BEA! But I'm glad that you went anyway and had a great experience. That's wonderful!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonita - Thanks. I agree she is wonderful to email with!

    Court - Thanks. Glad to hear you've started going to meet author's too. It is fun to be a fangirl!

    Kailana - Thanks. Poor you, though. Maybe you can schedule your holidays around author signings :-)

    Anna - Thanks. A fellow panic sufferer, I didn't know; it's nice to know you can relate. I cannot imagine going to something like BEA. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicola, I am so proud of you for facing your anxiety and going anyway. This is a huge step!

    I'm so glad that it was a good experience for you! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! I'm so glad this event turned out to be a great experience! Good for you, Nicola. (I knew she was going to recognize you, so I was holding my breathe while I was reading your post.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nicola,

    I just came across this because of John Mutford's recent post about meeting authors. Thanks for persevering. I am honoured.

    Cathy
    ---
    http://www.cathymariebuchanan.com
    http://www.facebook.com/cathymariebuchanan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have anxiety and panic attacks. So, this is really heartwarming to read. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I posted a link to this on my facebook page. You will see you have struck a chord.
    http://www.facebook.com/cathymariebuchanan

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, thanks Cathy! Thanks for helping spread the reality of anxiety/panic disorders!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts