Jan. Wrap Up: Books & Movies & Feb's Random Read

I'm "this close" to finishing two books, but last night I read as much as I could and then kept falling asleep as I tried determinedly to finish one. So not having any book review for today, it's a good time to get down to some business.


First, I used random.org to pick my February random read for me and it chose #39. So after counting the books in piles on the floor of my bedroom #39 is ........


Defenders of the Scroll by Shiraz


This is a YA fantasy I am looking forward to reading!

January Wrap Ups

Not too bad with reading, I prefer to see at least 19 but 17 is close enough and I read a lot of 4-5 star books this month. Not a one was I disappointed in. Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey was my favourite book of the month. I ended up reading two books aloud to my son this month, which seems a bit low but it was a hectic month. And my son read two books aloud to me.

January: 17
1. The Levee by Malcolm Shuman (4****)
2. Irredeemable by Mark Waid (4****)
3. The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews (4.5****)
4. The Diary of Sophia Macnab written at Dundurn Castle, Hamilton, 1846, Age 13 (3.5***)
5. Innocent War by Susan Violante (3.5***)
x. Dr. Horrible by Zack Whedon (3.5)
6. Fables: Sons of Empire by Bill Willingham (5/5)
7. Fallen by Lauren Kate (4/5)
8. The King's Legacy: A Story of Wisdom For the Ages by Jim Stovall (3***)
9. Graphic Glassics: Louisa May Alcott edited by Tom Pomplun (4.5****)
10. The Jungle Vampire by David Sinden (5*****)
xx. Marvel Adventures (#18) Featuring Nova by Paul Tobin (4/5****)
11. Graphic Classics: Special Edition edited by Tom Pomplun (4****)
12. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde (4.5****) (FAVOURITE Book of the Month)
13. The Last Safe House: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (5*****)
14. The Silver Anklet by Mahtab Narsimhan (4****)
xx. Father Bear Comes Home by Else Holmelund Minarik (5*****)
xx. Hiccups for Elephant by James Preller (4****)
15. The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker (book tour review to come in April)
16. Leaving Gee's Bend by Irene Latham (4****)
17. Calamity Jack by Shannon & Dean Hale (4****)

Movies

The ones marked with # were watched along with our 9yo. We took advantage of the free library movie evenings this month. As you can tell I spend more time reading than watching but still trying to fit some in here and there.

January: 4

(#)1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009) (live viewing at the library) - This was a load of fun. The 9yo has currently been in a phase for quite sometime where he wants to be an inventor when he grows up so this was right up his alley. I hadn't a clue what it was about going in except of course that it was based on the picture book which I haven't read since my 20yo was little, so no memory of that. Lots of laughs, fun plot and good time had by all, kids and grown ups. (Canada) - (US)

2. End of the Spear (2005) (borrowed from the library) - My sister recommended it to me and when she was telling me the story I said yeah that does sound good, in fact it sounds a lot like the Jim & Elizabeth Elliot story. I've read Elizabeth's books. So I start watching and it *is* the Jim Elliot story only told from a completely different point of view, that of Nate Saint's son and that of the natives who killed the missionaries. So Jim Elliot only appears in the first opening scenes. Anyway, great movie, very well done. I loved it. Though being a Hollywood movie the missionary part of the story was downplayed while focusing on the saving of a dying race who were killing themselves because of their warlike lifestyle. But still the Christian conversion was handled in a positive light and the movie was truly inspirational. Not any really famous actors but a familiar face or two like the guy who played the son in Dr. Quinn and was the autistic kid in St. Elsewhere. Recommended! (Canada) - (US)

3. Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009) (live viewing at the library) - I LOVED this series of books so much and was sooooo excited about the movie. What can I say, the movie does not live up to my expectations. So much was changed, all the reveals that happen near the end of the series are given away in this first movie so if you intend to read the books Do Not Watch The Movie Before You Read the Books or they will be spoiled for you. I heard this was supposed to cover books 1-3; I've now also heard it's really 1-4 but honestly it just takes all 12 books and randomly takes information and plops it into this first movie to set up the story how Hollywood has decided to tell it. So not overly impressed. Now, I didn't "hate" hate it. It was fun. I loved seeing the characters come to life and they were pretty good choices except for Steve and Darren's parody of parents. I'm glad I didn't spend money to watch it, but not unhappy to have seen it. Special effects/CGI were good. Read the books! (Canada) - (US)

(#)4. Spider-Man 2 (2004) (own) (re-watch) - This is my favourite of the three movies. I know most people think it's the weakest but I just love Dr. Octopus. We've just started allowing the 9yo to watch these types of movies and he thought it was awesome. Not much more to say than "I Love it". It's only my second time watching it but given enough time I'd gladly sit down and re-watch it again. (Canada) - (US)

Comments

Popular Posts