240. Jack of Fables: The Big Book of War

The Big Book of War by Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges. Art by Tony Akins & Russ Braun (Canada) - (USA)
Jack of Fables, #6

Pages: 128
Ages: 18+
Finished: Nov. 5, 2010
First Published: Oct. 20, 2009
Publisher: Vertigo
Genre: graphic novel, humour, fantasy
Rating: 3.5/5

First sentence:

So, here it is -- one for the ages.

Acquired: Borrowed from the Calgary Library while on vacation.

Reason for Reading: next in the series.

I have to say I have really been looking forward to reading this volume simply because it means I can get back to the original Fables series now with the big crossover issue that continues on with the storyline started here. I've enjoyed Jack and will continue to read the series especially since I've inadvertently found out how the plot line changes in the next volume. I still do prefer Fables as a whole though to Jack of...

This Volume finally brings closure to the inevitable showdown that has been looming nearer and nearer in the last few volumes between Mr. Revise and his Fables and Bookburner and his army of gathered Fables. All five issues stay on theme and play out the titular storyline. This is not one of my favourites from the series. A battle can only last so long and stretching out over 5 issues was a bit overkill (no pun intended) for me. Not a lot of plot going on but certainly plenty of action. Admittedly some hilarious one- or two-liners from arrogant, s*xist Jack that kept the humour coming. The best part comes, of course, in the final chapter when we learn a most shocking reveal about Jack, one I'm not sure he'll be able to handle. The book ends inviting us to "The Great Fables Crossover", the next volume in the Fables series where the storyline will continue. So that is where I'll be headed next!

So... this finally makes me au currant with the series! With just the current volumes of Fables (13) and Jack (7) to read. Fables 14 comes out in Dec. and then the 2011 books are already available for pre-order on amazon so I will be staying on top of this series now. Oh, and I should read the novel Peter and Max early in 2011 to be entirely caught up (being the completist that I am)!

Comments

Popular Posts