The Book of Revelation

I'm not about to review the Bible so this entry will be different from others.

Version I am reading: The Holy Bible, New American Bible, St. Joseph Edition

Book: The Book of Revelation

Book No: 73, The New Testament, Last book of the Bible

Author: John the Apostle (there is controversy amongst many, however, according to tradition and the early church fathers this is an accepted Catholic answer) *


Written: During the reign of Emperor Domitian (81-96AD). Three witnesses of tradition put it at the end of Domitian's reign, one even states 95AD as the actual year. *

No. of Chapters: 22

Type of Literature: Apocalyptic


Have I read before? No. I've read plenty of bible story versions but they are very edited. I've stayed clear from reading this straight from the source from start to finish as it is so full of symbolism and confusing when you don't know what it all means. Of course, I've heard much of it at Mass, and read parts from my daily Mass readings.

Reason for reading: I previously read Scott Hahn's Hail, Holy Queen which very intelligently and understandably explained Mary's role in Revelation and as I read that part of Revelation, everything that I had learned from Hahn (and later discussed with my Deacon) made that part of the Book much more accessible to me. I am now going to read Hahn's The Lamb's Supper which professes to describe the relationship between Mass and the Book of Revelation so I thought I had better prepare myself first by actually reading Revelation from start to finish. It is a short Book, thankfully, as it is tough reading.

First Line:  "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw."

Last Line:  "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen."

*according to The Catholic Encyclopedia

Comments

  1. Though Catholic my knowledge of the subject is sketchy. I hope I can get to this some day soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts