70. Flight, Volume 7

Flight, Volume 7 edited by Kazu Kibuishi (Canada) - (US)
Flight anthologies

Pages: 283
Ages: 15+
Finished: Mar. 17, 2011
First Published: July 20, 2010
Publisher: Villard Books
Genre: Graphic Novel, short stories, various genres (though mainly fantasy)
Rating: 3/5



First sentence:

He is the Guardian-Shepherd of a life-giving technology that is said to have been left eons ago by a race of ancient gods.


Acquired: Borrowed a copy through Interlibrary Loan.

Reason for Reading: This book was nominated for a Cybils '10 Graphic Novel, category and we judges didn't receive review copies and I wasn't able to find a copy in time for the judging. I have just now been able to obtain a copy.

I don't have an awful lot to say about this book. A graphic novel anthology of short stories by mostly people who as a collective haven't published many books but are in the industry on a freelance basis with much experience in animation work. I had previously heard of (and read two) of the author/illustrators presented here: Kibuishi obviously and Dave Roman. Then I came across a Jellaby story which I didn't know the author's name but have been wanting to read the books and very much enjoyed the short story. Some stories are very short, others quite long. There is no theme, rhyme or reason to the collection, just a presentation of beautiful art. That is where this book excels. The graphic presentation is beautiful. the artwork is stunning and it is pure joy to read through. The stories are hit and miss with me I really enjoyed a couple "Jellaby" by Kean Soo, "Live Bait" by Justin Gerard and Premium Cargo by Kostas Kiriakakis. The majority of the other stories were okay and a handful I just plain didn't get. I can't see myself reading another one of these books in the future, unless I had to.

Comments

Popular Posts