102. The Lightning Thief Graphic Novel

The Lightning Thief Graphic Novel based on the novel by Rick Riordan. written by Robert Venditti. Art by Attila Futaki (Canada) - (US)
Percy Jackson & The Olympians Graphic Novel, 1

Pages: 128
Ages: 8+
Finished: Apr. 25, 2011
First Published: Oct. 12, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Genre: children, graphic novel, fantasy, Greek mythology
Rating: 3/5



First sentence:

Quiet down, class.


Acquired: Borrowed from my local library.

Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I've just now been able to get a copy to read.

This is a graphic adaptation of the novel of the same name and even though this is the first in the series I think it will be most enjoyed by those who have read the book. As a standalone, without knowledge of the book, the graphic novel isn't really that exciting of a story. It's been some years since I read the book and this is the only one in the series I've read, and I haven't seen the movie, so my mind wasn't fresh on the events but I do remember more happening that what happened in the graphic novel. For example, I specifically remembered a scene in the book with Medusa, which never occurred in this adaptation. It felt like explanations were missing and gaps were left in the flow of the story. I'm not that crazy with the artwork either; the faces have unnatural expressions. Overall, it's still the same story, so not a bad read, but I'm not overly impressed with this graphic adaptation.

Comments

Popular Posts