152. Bone: Quest for the Spark, Book Two by Tom Sniegoski

Bone: Quest for the Spark, Book Two by Tom Sniegoski. Illustrated by Jeff Smith.  (US) - (Canada)
Bone: Quest for the Spark, Book Two

Pages: 234
Ages: 8+
Finished: May 26, 2012
First Published: Feb. 1, 2012
Publisher: Graphix/Scholastic
Genre: children, fantasy
Rating: 4/5


First sentence: "Tom Elm had always known the Valley was big, but now, as he gazed out over the side of the Queen of the Sky, it seemed to stretch forever."

Publisher's Summary: "The Nacht, the evil dragon that threatens to destroy both the Dreaming and the Waking Worlds, is growing stronger, and twelve-year-old Tom Elm is the champion the Dreaming has chosen to defeat it. Along with Roderick the raccoon, Percival Bone and his nephew and niece, Randolf, Lorimar, and the two stupid Rat Creatures, Tom must race to find the missing pieces of the Spark. This leg of the journey introduces him to a trio of scheming bears and takes him into the depths of a dangerous beehive. And, on top of everything else, a traitor might be among them... "

Acquired: Received a review copy from Scholastic Canada.
.
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

An enjoyable follow-up to the first book in this series.  The main plot centres around our group of heroes as they continue on their journey and quest to find the second piece of the Spark.  Everyone from Book One appears in this volume, both good and evil characters, with the inclusion of a few more characters joining them in the quest, possibly temporarily for this book only.  I enjoyed the new characters and continue to love all the regulars in this series.  The plot was fun, exciting and full of dangers.  Characters are developing especially the leader Tom, and the warrior priest from the Veni Yan, Randolph.  I enjoy character driven books, and while this is more plot-driven, the characters personalities and motives are also quite important to the plot.

My only complaint is that there is not much, if any, lead-in to this book to refresh your memory of 2011's book one; so it did take me a few chapters to get into the story and start remembering who was who and what was what.  Also, I'm pretty sure I said this in my review of book one but there are not nearly enough illustrations by Jeff Smith.  One per chapter on the most part.  More illustrations would be gladly welcomed by Jeff Smith.

Comments

  1. I had this out from the library but I didn't get a chance to read it. I didn't really like the first one so much... I thought the original series was way better. This may be why I hesitated...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the graphic novels are indeed much better, but since we can't get more of those I'm willing to settle for this chapter book series. I actually enjoyed book one and this one was about the same for me. He just needs to do a quick story so far in the first chapter or get that information out during the first 2-3 chapters, because it is going to be hard to remember what was last happening if we continue to have to wait a year for each book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts