191 . The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley.
The Black Stallion, #1

Rating: (4/5)

(US) - (Canada) - (Kindle)

1941, Random House, 188 pgs

Age: 8+

"First published in 1941, Walter Farley's best-selling novel for young readers is the triumphant tale of a boy and a wild horse. From Alec Ramsay and the Black's first meeting on an ill-fated ship to their adventures on a desert island and their eventual rescue, this beloved story will hold the rapt attention of readers new and old."

Bookmooched a copy.

This is a book I've wanted to read almost my whole life.  As a kid I loved animal stories but had an aversion to horse books but as I got older the urge to read this crept upon me until at last today I can finally say I've read "The Black Stallion" and plan on reading its sequel, which I managed to snatch up for a great deal on my Kindle a while back.  The writing is wonderful and there are so few references to technology or current events that one is only reminded that the story is taking place in the forties perhaps three times.  For me the book had three distinct parts: the shipwreck and Alex's time with Black on the island, his homecoming and settling in with Black, and the preparation for and finally running the race at the end.  The first and third parts were extraordinarily good but I found my attention lagging in the middle as I wondered if any excitement was going to happen again after the shipwreck and survival part of the beginning.  This is what keeps the book from gaining 5* from me.  However as the excitement mounts again at the end I just loved the writing of the man calling the race; it was so real I felt on the edge of my seat even though there is no doubt whatsoever as to how this story is going to end; it being a fairly predictable plot.  Alex and Henry are the main characters and the only ones of any real consequence, besides Black, and they are written very real with depth and background.  I couldn't help but see Henry in my mind as Mickey Rooney, though, one of my all time favourite actors who played him in the movie and TV series.  <3 

Comments

Popular Posts