442. Goosebumps: Don't Go to Sleep by R.L. Stine

Don't Go to Sleep by R.L. Stine
Goosebumps, #54

Rating: (3/5)

1997, Scholastic, 118 pgs

Ages: (8+)

"Matt hates his tiny bedroom. It's so small it's practically a closet! Still, Matt's mom refuses to let him sleep in the guest room. After all, they might have guests. Some day. Or year.

Then Matt does it. Late one night. When everyone's in bed. He sneaks into the guest room and falls asleep.

Poor Matt. He should have listened to his mom. Because when Matt wakes up, his whole life has changed. For the worse. And every time he falls asleep, he wakes up in a new nightmare. . . .."

Borrowed a copy from my local library.

I've read exactly one Goosebumps book before this and that was about 15 years ago.  That one was about a plant in the basement (or something like that) and at the time I thought it was alright for what it was.  Anyway, I promised my son if he read a chapter book and liked it I would read it after him.  He is an autistic 13yob and surprised everybody, mostly himself, by reading this chapter book, without pictures!, in one evening and was actually engrossed.  Thank you Goosebumps!  I may be reading more of these in the future. LOL.  Mayhaps I have a horror fan in the making...

Anyway, the main character is 12 years old making the book quite suitable for older reluctant readers.  The chapters all end with cliffhangers bringing that just-one-more-chapter rush to your reading.  And most of all the story was entertaining, actually well-written, had realistic dialogue and climaxed with a spooky ending.  I can understand why Stephen King gives R.L. Stine kudos for the work he does.

Comments

Popular Posts