Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive #1) by Kate DiCamillo

Leroy Ninker Saddles Up by Kate DiCamillo

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 96 pages
Published August 26th 2014 by Candlewick Press

Tales from Deckawoo Drive (#1)


I saw this on display when I was at the library picking up a hold. I love the Mercy Watson books and was so excited to see this new series. Featuring characters from the Mercy Watson books, this one stars Leroy Ninker who first showed up on Deckawoo Drive as a thief. He now works at a drive-in theatre dreaming of being a cowboy. He's got all the clothes and the lingo, but he's missing one thing, the horse. An adorable, sweet, funny story. I just loved it. This is a step up from the Mercy books, being an early chapter book with b/w illustrations by the same illustrator. The story doesn't feature Mercy and almost entirely takes place away from Deckawoo Drive but at the end Leroy ends up there, meets Mercy and the book ends with that familiar scene of everybody around the breakfast table at the Watson's. Wonderful! I can't wait to see who the next book will feature!




Comments

Popular Posts