Julius Caesar: Retold in Modern-day English by Timothy Knapman

Julius Caesar: Retold in Modern-day English by Timothy Knapman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 48 pages
Published July 1st 2015 by QEB Publishing

Tales from Shakespeare

Though meant for younger audiences this faithful retelling of the Shakespeare is suitable for all ages and I can see it being used by students studying the play and even adults wanting to finally get to know their Shakespeare without reading the actual plays. I'm familiar with Julius Caesar, having studied it in high school, read the original and seen the play at Stratford, but this was many years ago so I'm not able to compare this version to the primary source except to say I found nothing lacking from what I remembered of the tale. It is written in a highly entertaining storyteller's voice and has several sketches per chapter. While written in modern English there are some short quotes from Shakespeare in the margins and being fond of Shakespeare retellings and adaptations I find this a quality choice. I'll be reading a couple more from the series to see if it is consistent.




Comments

Popular Posts