City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong

City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 480 pages
Published January 2nd 2016 by Random House Canada
Source: review copy from Random Penguin House Canada


Well, I've found a new favourite author! I've read a few of her paranormals and now two of her thrillers and I can say I'm hooked on Kelley Armstrong. This is a brilliant and unique premise allowing for a creepy thriller and Armstrong delivers! She kept me guessing throughout the entire book, changing my mind right up until the very end. I had my suspicions on too many people to have ever solved this one! There is one of the grossest crime scenes I've ever read in a serial killer mystery and I don't throw names around much but the scene is worthy of Mo Hader (my fav for gruesome scenes). I just loved the whole atmosphere of the book: the abandonment, the loneliness, the Wild West aura, and yet it was pure Canadian. There is a romance subplot, and I know always say I'm not into romance (and I'm not) but the romance part is laid back enough that it won me over and I especially enjoyed the characters. The book ends on a complete note but there are threads that make it possible the main characters could return in a sequel. Which would be totally awesome!



Comments

  1. I never read any of the paranormal but definitely happy to read another thriller by her. Exciting review Nicola and gruesome, i'm intrigued. I have a Mo Hader on my TBR list, haven't tried her either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! You haven't read Mo Hayder? She is intense!! I'm not up-to-date with her books but I started with the first one and each one just gets better and better! The series books and the stand-alones equally. Pig Island is more horror than mystery, if I remember correctly so it got a bit of flack but I liked it just the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts