Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay

Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 512 pages
Published July 28th 2015 by Doubleday Canada
Source: Review Copy thanks to Penguin Random House Canada

Promise Falls (#1)


I've read all Barclay's books by this point and have to say, unfortunately, this is not his best. The first half was great, with lots going on, a murder, weird things and kept me turning the pages. Then a point came when I had an "Aha" moment and came up with a scenario that would explain the major case of the book and the way things worked out I was right. That's ok, I often do figure things out, but there were so many other story arcs going on that I couldn't place how they would fit that I was eager to see how it all came together in the end. Then the book ended!! The next page told me to read the *next* book *next* year for the continuing story. WTF? Barclay doesn't write series! I had no idea this book had no ending and was majorly pissed off. There is a lot going on here and yes, I want to see what happens next so yes, I will be reading the next book. However, the publisher did Barclay's fans a BIG disservice by not putting on the cover something to the effect of "First in new series by Linwood Barclay" to give us a head's up that this would not be a stand-alone like every other one of his books.




Comments

  1. I liked this one :)

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2015/11/book-broken-promise-2015-linwood-barclay.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all eager to read the next one now :-) but that certainly through me for a loop when I found out it was the first in a series like that. Boy, I sure sound mad in this review. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts